Friday, April 20, 2007

Blackberry demonstrate the importance of minimum operation

Well when I wrote the post on the importance of understanding the minimum operating requirements I didn't think I'd have a great real-world example of what happens when people don't decouple their critical from their critical and enable the essential to continue when there are issues with the unimportant....

According to El Reg the folks at Blackberry say that the reason for their outage was due to a non-critical caching upgrade. This is exactly what I mean about enabling businesses to turn off the non-essential and really planning systems to degrade successfully rather than just switching off when anything goes wrong.

And these folks know networking... so I think we can all guess what the average application is like.


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: