Friday, June 30, 2006

Chatting about SOA

Well thanks to those awfuly nice people at Sun I've done my first VODcast on SOA, tools and what technologies are hot. Unlike the people on the West Coast I had to do it via a webcam link (cheers to Simon Cook for the help there).

In quite a busy month there is also an interesting article in information age about SOA "who plays, who pays" where I put some of my oar into the debate, but the interesting bit comes from Chris who puts it all in a consistent context. Its a key question on SOA, how do we change the current funding model to make IT more accountable and more successful.

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the fridge analogy in that article.

It did make me wonder... our office is in a business centre and the fridge & kitchen are shared between a constantly changing pool of 5-10 small companies (typically ranging in size from 2 to 10 people). There are no post-it notes or disputes of ownership because we all pay a small amount to the business center (a third party) to provide the kitchen/fridge service. Some people use more than others but then they pay more as the business center charge by "office space" (the desks, lights power etc. are also a service, I guess)

I think the problem with internal fridges in other companies is that they are not treated like a service. Perhaps user authentication and a "pay per use" model are the way to avoid conflict over internal service provision (including fridges etc.)?

Just an idea.